[2019] R4 Panthers v Tigers - Game Day Thread

Telstra Premiership

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v Wests Tigers
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 5th March 2019 7:55pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 5:15pm
:rugby_football: Other Matches Tarsha Gale Cup Penrith Panthers v Wests Tigers 5:45pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_small_cloud: Partly Cloudy 19Ā°C (7% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 9 Tries Dylan Edwards
Goals Nathan Cleary (1/1), FG Nathan Cleary (1/1)
Wests Tigers 8 Tries Corey Thompson, Ryan Matterson
Goals Esan Marsters (0/3), FG Josh Reynolds (0/1) Luke Brooks (0/2)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

Teams

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
:rugby_football: Panthers v Tigers :rugby_football: Warriors v Panthers :rugby_football: Warriors v Panthers
:clock3: Friday 5/4 8:05pm :clock3: Saturday 6/4 11:00am :clock3: Saturday 6/4 9:00am
:stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Mount Smart Stadium :stadium: Mount Smart Stadium
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Caleb Aekins 1. Daine Laurie
2. Josh Mansour 2. Brent Naden 2. Charlie Staines
3. Dean Whare 3. Matheson Johns 3. Stephen Crichton
4. Waqa Blake 4. Jed Cartwright 4. Thomas Lofts
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 5. Brian Too 5. Matthew Faauila
6. James Maloney 6. Jarome Luai 6. Matt Burton
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Liam Coleman 7. Brendan Hands
8. James Tamou 8. Paea Pua 8. Spencer Leniu
9. Sione Katoa 9. Mitch Kenny 9. Dylan Mcbain
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 10. Tim Grant 10. Brad Gaut
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Billy Burns 11. Alex Myles
12. Isaah Yeo 12. Jack Hetherington 12. Shawn Blore
13. James Fisher-Harris 13. Kaide Ellis (C) 13. Adam Fearnley
INTERCHANGE
14. Wayde Egan 14. Reed Izzard 14. Ryan Pritchard
15. Frank Winterstein 15. Nick Lui-Toso 15. Jack Quinn
16. Moses Leota 16. Billy Tsikrikas 16. Jayden Tanner
17. Hame Sele 17. Sam Smith 17. Terrell May
18. Liam Martin 18. Ratu Nanovo
19. Tim Grant 19. Hayden Bonnano
20. Jarome Luai 20. Glenn Mcgrady
21. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach Ben Harden

Officials

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg Cup
Referees Gerard Sutton Darian Furner Paki Parkinson
Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski - -
Sideline Officials Todd Smith Paki Parkinson Joseph Green
Kasey Badger Rochelle Tamarua Viggo Rasmussen
Video Referees Steve Chiddy - -
Bryan Norrie - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall
Gerard Sutton 2009 (0/0) 100% (11/26) 42%
Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski 2017 (0/0) 100% (3/3) 100%

Panthers: 1. Dylan Edwards, 2. Josh Mansour, 3. Dean Whare, 4. Waqa Blake, 5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 6. James Maloney, 7. Nathan Cleary, 8. James Tamou, 9. Sione Katoa, 10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Isaah Yeo, 13. James Fisher-Harris.

Interchange: 14. Wayde Egan, 15. Frank Winterstein, 16. Moses Letoa, 17. Hame Sele

Didnā€™t expect any changes save for Yeo and Kikau to come back

This is the very best we can field

weā€™re beating ourselves ā€¦ painful to watch

this VAR crap is gettin to me. Despite no clear footage of Mansours
foot touching the sideline the ā€˜varmanā€™ assumes that because the toe
of his boot bends it must of been because it had grounded. Anyone else
here curled his toe in anger? If they donā€™t see it how can they make
that assumption? Luv me Panthers but this game (NRL) is losing me.

1 Like

it is hard to watchā€¦we are not at first grade level on the first half effort

edwards has moved to the wing and DWZ at FB for the second half

Quite possibly the worst game of rugby league I have seen. Good thing the Tigers couldnā€™t kick a goal to save their lives tonight.

The only positive Iā€™m taking from this is that the biggest pest at work is a Tigers fan & he has been relentlessly going after me all summer - time for a little payback.
:joy::joy::joy:

Wellā€¦ that was terrible.

How we won that game will take me some time to work out.

I think I will split this into the Negatives and the Positives.

The Negatives

• Our Attack - Whats doing with the attack? It looks like anytime we are threatening a error is soon to follow
  • Our Backs - The forwards look to be doing their jobs, but the backs look like a bunch of strangers, disorganised and making dangerous plays (like passing the ball infront of the goal line)
  • Dylan Edwards - I donā€™t like point out individual performances, but there is just something not right about Edwards. Donā€™t get me wrong, I think the kid has what it takes, but something is getting in the way of his footy, I sure hope he works it out.
  • Completion Rates - 25/42. Lowā€¦ just too low.
  • Missed Tackles - 30. Way too high.

The Positives

• Penalties - Posted the lowest amount of Penalties Conceded (5). To think we started this season giving away 10 penalties a game, now down to half of that.
  • Dylan Edwards - I know what you thinking ā€œYou had him on the Negative Listā€. Moving to the wing tonight really took a lot of pressure from him and he settled into the game, eventually scoring the only try of the night. I really hope this is the shot in the arm th kid needs.
  • The Forwards - Worked super hard tonight. Tamou had a blinder as did Sele. Having Winterstein bow out of the match early on really amped up the pressure on the forwards and they delivered.
  • DWZ - Played his 100th match tonight and was involved in a late reshuffle in the team. handled FB perfectly, running th ball back hard.
  • Nathan Cleary - This kidā€¦ he is cool as a cucumber. With all the shit in the media about him and his old man, as well as all the shit about the club, you would understand if he was a bit under pressure, but you would never know if he was. Setup the cruicla play for the sole Panthers try, converts the try on the siren, sets up the final play of the game in Golden Point and slot over the Field Goal from about th 40 metre line. This kid has talent well beyond his years in the game.

It wasnā€™t a game many will want to remember (I saw the game go into Golden Point and thought to myself, they are going to drag me through 10 more minutes of this crap) but itā€™s two points much needed.

Bring on the Titans.

1 Like

I told ya we would smash em, 9-8 LOVE ITā€¦

That was complete shite. Steve I personally think your giving our forwards unwarranted kudos, they were poor compared to their capability. I think the reason for your mindset is the absolutely pathetic way our backs are playing. Dean Whare should be shaking hands with reserve grade coach today while holding Dylan Edwards hand.

I agree with Mutley, possibly the worst game Iā€™ve seen. That was akin to a battle for the spoon.

We have major problems and itā€™s showing with the playing group desire and application.

Now back to the refs and my issue of momentum. We again see a bad call (Edwards didnā€™t knock on) that leads to multiple sets on our line then a try, it just breaks spirits and is too harsh. Why are the refs so damn picky and happy to blow such game changing penalties for minor issues, then let blatant forward passes go then blow penalties for line balls to make up for it, they are killing the game.

Its not nice to watch at allā€¦how we won that game is beyond explanation except the record books will show we got the 2 points and next week we play a team which are going worse than us in the Titans.
Its hard to even digest what is wrong because it looks like there is plenty wrong.
Backs who are impotent, forwards who barely hurt the other mob and halves who are really below first grade effort.
We are not even seeing improvement or for that matter any set plays/offensive patterns or defensive patterns which give us some belief their game is on the up.

Its just a muddle and i just wish IC would simplify things.

Appoint 1 Captain
Now the move of DWZ to FB in the second half took some pressure off Edwardsā€¦leave him there
Swap Nathan and Maloney back to their old sides.

He cannot do much more but he just needs to give these kids some confidence and maybe, just maybe they are all overthinking what they have to do.

Simplify it for them and leave it to them to play what is in front of themā€¦at least for 1 game so we can see what is working for them because what is happening now is very very ordinary

Woeful game of footy. Tigers were terrible & we matched them. The match officials completed the trifecta.

Only Fisher-Harris & Billy looked the goods for us. I donā€™t know the answers to get us playing at least half decent footy. How do we just keep making so many errors.

I realised at the end of the game that we have booked & paid for a few days in Brisbane next month for the ā€˜Magic Roundā€™ & we will get to see those same two teams meet again!!

Take the two points and move on.

Well for once I managed to sit through most of the game. Either our discipline has improved or the ref lost the pea out of his whistle. Defence was much better, attack showed little change. I hope IC tells his backs not to throw loopy passes in their own quarter; Josh Mansour cannot catch them. Like DWZ at fullback. Hopefully we gel sometime soon. Maybe slaughter the Titans next week and boost our confidence. Maybe.

The first 20 odd minutes was brilliant, after that the wheels fell of until the 78th minute.

Mind you, had the Sauce try been allowed, and had they gone to the video for Kikauā€™s try, we may be speaking differently.

Ultimately they game was (surprisingly) won by three players; Cleary, Maloney and most importantly Kikau.

But gee there is something wrong with the teamā€™s mindset. Maybe the pre-season troubles are effecting them more than we thought. Edwards for sure be seems to be in need of some serious help with his lack of confidence.

Wonder how Egan is doing after that head clash? He looked pretty groggy heading off to the sheds. Pity, as he was one of a few players moving forward in minutes 60-78.

For Mansourā€™s disallowed try, Casey Badger signalled try on ground. She was about a metre away, but apparently the bunker can over rule her using a guess!

2 Likes

Nah the Bunker got the Mansour no-try correct. Your foot doesnā€™t magically bend the way his dead. Definite no-try. The Kikau one definitely seemed like it was a try.

When youā€™re playing like shit, those little decisions seem MUCH bigger than what they should be. We should be a top4 team, instead weā€™re playing like weā€™re contenders for the wooden spoon.

80% completion rate should be the standard. I think we completed at 59%. That is just woeful. We somehow managed to bring the Tigers down to our level, then beat them with experience.

1 Like

Just watching the replay, glutton for punishment I know, but a couple of glaring things, our dummy half passing is 2 & 3 metres back, most other sides are at the ad line. Another was Edwards got driven back some distance in his first 2 touches which put pressure on us. About 5 1/2 minutes in on the 4th tackle tigers get a penalty for us taking too long to get up, it was a woeful call and gave them some serious momentum. A shit kick and we got away with it.
The most important piece was the Mansour try, their is no way a video ref should have determined foot movement was the cause of contact with the ground. Given he was in the air and being pushed, his heel actually starts the foot movement thus lifting his toe into the air which made it look like it touched the ground. The fact their was no actual evidence and the fact it was ruled try means it should have been awarded. Iā€™m 12 minutes into the replay so this could get ugly for the readers ha haaaa :ok_hand:
Saved by the kid who has taken over the TV :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: lol

1 Like