[2019] R5 Titans v Panthers - Game Day Thread

this is a game with more interest than it should have considering pre season Panthers were title contenders and Titans would have been bottom 4 but here it is Round 5 and Panthers are 2 from 4 and Titans 0 from 4.
To say here are 2 teams struggling for from would be an understatement and despite hitting the panic button both coaches have stood by their sides albeit with 1 single change for us of DWZ to FB and Edwards to wing.
If the real Panthers turn up we should win and win easily but if they play as they have in recent weeks it will be a coin toss and if the Titans win…well there will need to be changes to our squad and Cleary will have to rethink what he is doing as coach.If Titans get lapped Brennan may be looking for a new club
For these reasons a lot hangs on this game.

Sadly for Garth Brennan, I don’t think even winning this game will help his future of the Titans, as I have a feeling that a decision had been made weeks ago, and these weeks following are a mere formality as they find another coach.

On to the game, I found it interesting they have selected the only active NRL referee with the highest success rate for Penrith… could this have something about some dud calls last week? (Like the Kikau try and the Edwards knock-on)… Maybe I am reading too much into that.

Looking at the team, Ivan seems to think that the team must be on the improve, as for except for a positional changes and a replacement for Winterstein the side is the same is virtually the same, I was a bit disappointed about TIm Grant not getting a starting spot, he has been crushing it in the lower grades. Also am I the only on thinking that the halves should be switch back to the other side of the field (ala 2018)?

I am also happy with the DWZ/Edwards switch. I love Edwards speed, but I like how DWZ returns the ball after a kick, I feel that Edwards will grow into a wingers spot an feel that he will be the better for it in the long run. I didn’t like the call for some fans to drop him, it is clear as day the kid has talent, he just hit a slump, the players and coach were supporting him and saying he should be in the squad. I would like to see how many of those “Facebook Coaches” have not hit a career slump before, and I bet they gave them more than a week to “right the ship” so to speak.

A win is vital here, despite a terrible start to the season, to be 3/5 going into round 6 really places the team in a good position (assuming their form improves). I feel that one good comprehensive win can go a long way to kickstarting the Panthers season. I hope this is that win.

We seem to be suffering ‘perfect storm’ conditions. The dramas on Griffin’s departure, IC coming in, videogate, ‘no-job’ Gould, our top players seemingly almost all being terribly out of form, failure to address what were clearly our two weaknesses ie D/H and one centre, & our continued run of not getting the best of the officiating, has resulted in some terrible football being played, with two close wins, a close loss, and a heavy defeat.

I am hopeful of improvement over the coming weeks, starting with our game against a struggling opponent this week. If we can snag a win, & sit 3 from 5 it will look ok. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Agreed. Like all storms though, it will pass.

Not sure what others think but I wonder about the Tim Grant thing, he was one of the first flicked with the last Cleary stint, he left the Tigers the year after he was made coach and the poor bloke has him as coach again, is TG resigned to playing Reggie’s whilst at Penrith and Cleary in charge?

Also, I would be playing Liam Martin before Sele, I don’t like the Sele performances thus far.

Anyway that is my 2 bobs, if we have the same lack lustre effort this week and heaven forbid lose and he picks the same 17 I will start calling him Royce, those John Cross days still have me scarred :joy:

You don’t need to go back to Roycie - what about Elliott kept picking CC (can’t even write his name, as I am sure I swore on here once I would never mention his name again) I still have nightmares - what about the day he tried the chip-kick :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no let’s not start on Adrian purtell…

Why is it so hard for coaches to drop players out of form to allow them to get their confidence back in lower grades?

Look at Reynolds for the Tigers, he killed it in Reggie’s and played a pretty good game first game back in the top grade, if he keeps his form Benji will be the Reggie. Gotta make the tough calls as coach, not play favourites!

1 Like

i think for coaches its about one thing…“the team”
sure we may say a player should be dropped but the coach has a broader view about how the team sticks tight in adversity…yadda yadda yada

and as a result the team responds by more often then not punching through as a group and when a win comes the errors from some seem less important

personally i wouldn’t have dropped anyone and as i suggested moving DWZ to FB and Edwards to wing is what Cleary did.

I also suggested Cleary and Maloney should rotate back to their sides of last year and believe this may help settle the team both offensively and defensively

perhaps that may happen mid game v Titans if we are behind at half time

SBF I understand what your saying and agree to a point, However, the ‘team’ is a 25 man roster as part of the salary cap, any 1 of those 25 are either capable or have the potential to perform in the top grade. If you maintain the status quo with poor performances, you are sending a glaring message to the 18-25 playing group.

I don’t want to lose the likes of Luai or Martin (he looks the goods) but if they cannot get an opportunity when it SHOULD be available due to poor form, then 15 other clubs will start sniffing around, that in itself will breed complacency.

I’m definitely not saying drop someone after 1 bad game, but Edwards first 4 performances have been average at best…and he is not alone!!!

… well said, 100% agree. :sunglasses:

1 Like

OK Luai in to 17 for Egan, so maybe a change in strategy??

Just about to start my pre-game, leaving work in about 5 mins, heading home to put on my game shirt & to take my seat in front of TV. I’m sure there will be a beer for me :slight_smile:

C’mon boys!!!

If we don’t start with an attitude of “the world is against us” vs the titans we will get towelled up. This should be a game of personal passion given the players and coach, if this situation doesn’t excite us, not a lot will.

Let’s hope it’s a team effort not a personal “look at me” contest

well they are 2 teams who have the worst scoring in the comp and we have the worst completion rate

in short its the cellar dwellers playing for scraps or will the real Panthers turn up and turn it on?

I shudder to think the what if’s if we lose

if Kelly wasn’t in front of the kicker and within 10 metres of the ball coming down i will give the game away.
Looks like we are playing 14 tonight…the players plus the video ref

Dylan just watch the way Jimmy handles a loose ball in the in goal. :tired_face:

RCG got to the shed early to brush his moustache. Hope they
pointed out his errors to him in between grooming.

Titans playing a patient error free game and go to the sheds in charge.

Don’t think there’s enough beer in Mr Walkers fridge to soothe him.

its a little sad watching this…unless we change what we are doing this mob who are almost playing with Taylor will lap us
Mistakes, poor choices, errors, penalties …mmmmmm

1 Like

absolutely dreadful from start to finish.