[2019] R6 Sharks v Panthers - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Cronulla Sharks v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue PointsBet Stadium, Woolooware NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday 18th April 2019 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 5:20pm
:bus: : Travel Bus to Pointsbet Stadium [LINK] VIP $5 / Member $10 /Non-Member $25
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :crescent_moon: Clear 21°C (12% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: 9 Network WWOS [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Cronulla Sharks 24 Tries Bronson Xerri, Chad Townsend, Andrew Fifita, Josh Dugan
Goals Chad Townsend (4/4)
Penrith Panthers 20 Tries Tim Grant, Nathan Cleary, Waqa Blake
Goals Nathan Cleary (4/4)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

Teams

Telstra Premiership Centerbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Sharks v Panthers :rugby_football: Jets v Panthers :rugby_football: Sharks v Panthers
:clock3: Thursday 18/4 7:50pm :clock3: Sunday 18/4 1:10pm :clock3: Thursday 18/4 5:20pm
:stadium: Pointsbet Stadium :stadium: Henson Park :stadium: Pointsbet Stadium
TEAM
1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 1. Caleb Aekins 1. Daine Laurie
2. Josh Mansour 2. Ratu Tuisese 2. Charlie Staines
3. Dean Whare 3. Matheson Johns 3. Stephen Crichton
4. Waqa Blake 4. Brent Naden 4. Thomas Lofts
5. Dylan Edwards 5. Brian To’O 5. Matthew Faauila
6. James Maloney 6. Jarome Luai 6. Matt Burton
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Liam Coleman 7. Brendan Hands
8. James Tamou (C) 8. Kaide Ellis (C) 8. Spencer Leniu
9. Wayde Egan 9. Mitch Kenny 9. Dylan McBain
10. Tim Grant 10. Paea Pua 10. Brad Gaut
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Reed Izzard 11. Terrell May
12. Isaah Yeo 12. Billy Burns 12. Shawn Blore
13. James Fisher-Harris 13. Jack Hetherington 13. J’Maine Hopgood (C)
INTERCHANGE
14. Sione Katoa 15. Nick Lui-Toso 14. Adam Fearnley
15. Tyrell Fuimaono 19. Allan Fitzgibbon 15. Jack Quinn
16. Moses Leota 20. Billy Tsikrikas 16. Jayden Tanner
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 21. Isaac Thompson 17. Ratu Nanovo
RESERVES
18. Jarome Luai
19. Liam Martin
20. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
21. Jed Cartwright
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach: Ben Harden

Officials

Telstra Premiership Centerbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Ben Cummins TBA TBA
Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski - -
Sideline Official Phil Henderson TBA TBA
Chris Sutton TBA TBA
Video Referee Steve Chiddy - -
Bryan Norrie - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall
Ben Cummins 2006 (0/0) 100% (15/37) 41%
Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski 2017 (1/1) 100% (4/4) 100%

Note: Ben Cummins first Panthers match for 2019 Season

really surprised to see Yeo in our squad and for the other mob equally surprised to see Fifita and Gallen named

This is a must win game for both squads and doubt on current form Panthers will be able to mount a serious challenge

Heart hopes we can but head says we are in more trouble then the early settlers

Yes agreed, went from not expected to be back until Rnd 17 to playing in Rnd 6 - great news.

Pretty much as good a line-up as we can put out there, with little scope for changes if it goes south. Those pre-season hopes have taken an early battering, and things need to come good pretty quickly. It’s all up to the boys now.

Final bad news - the esteemed, and renowned Panthers-hater, Mr Ben Cummins is on the whistle :pensive:

They had Cleary on the news last night and Yeo in the background, looks as fit as a fiddle and was full of energy.

Cummins :scream:

I wish Ivan would make a statement, let’s see how RCG handles a Reggie taking his starting spot, if this doesn’t bring out the best in him, he needs a reality check in Reggie’s.

there is some more good news…Cleary (the coach) must be reading Pantherpride and announced his 6 captain idea wasn’t so good and announced Tamou as the ONLY captain.

Keep reading Ivan

1 Like

This tells me their is something amiss with Maloney, maybe already on the outer!!!

He has been the spokesperson for the team all year so far, he is the leader on the field and Ivan gives the C to Tamou, he doesn’t even play the full 80…I don’t like it at all.

This may highlight what is going wrong with us on the paddock, it will be interesting to see what energy we have against our bogey team.

Possibly off topic but when did that ever stop anybody. Regarding the kick off time of 7:50 pm; I would struggle to stay awake in front of the TV at home for the duration of the game (assuming frustration has not already got the better of me).
Now, I have not been to live sport for more years than I care to mention, nor have I any plans to do so in future but I ask this question. Does the kick off time preclude many supporters, particularly young kids, from attending these matches?

on the subject of kick off times…i absolutely believe it precludes many from attending for all sorts of reasons but kick off time just adds to the decision making process, there are others
1…cost to attend ie ground ticket/public transport/parking
2…food costs especially if taking a family or group of kids
3…drink costs

Assume a family of 4 go from Penrith to Cronulla tonight and go by car…tolls plus fuel, would have to be at the ground say circa 7PM which would mean leaving Penrith around 5.30PM
Then the treck home…say they leave when game concludes…arrive back in Penrith around midnight
That is not adding any factors like if it rains, traffic accidents etc.

Then you add all the other costs at the game it would be a minimum $200 night for the family

And to add insult the TV folk including free to air and foxtel wouldn’t care if no-one ever attended a game…its the TV audience which drives the agenda with the NRL

100% the kick off time affects it. The only benefit of tonight’s time slot is tomorrow is a public holiday, if this was a standard weekend their would be 5000 people attend shark park and that would be maybe 100 panther supporters like Mutley who live there.

It’s ridiculous for fans who like going to the game.

… strike me pink, it’s only the very best amongst us
who’d bother to make the effort, especially the way we’re playing.

Particularly young kids ‘birdman’. Used to have reserved seating
at Penrith 'till the missus objected to me taking the young bloke
(Now 14) to Monday and Thursday night games (coz of school).

Maloney looks to me as if he’s playing injured. He’s not long had ‘neck’ surgery. His time is ‘nigh’.

MWZ in for Edwards.

Back in 70’s & 80’ teams would drop wingers when they were losing games

… wouldn’t happen in the 60’s mr walker, especially if they were
Ken Irvine or Michael Cleary, world class sprinters . :sunglasses:

well we get beaten by a very ordinary team …Led 14 nil at half time and we get swamped

i don’t know what to say…just don’t know what to say.

That HURT. That was worse than last week’s loss. We had them the whole game then got lazy and complacent and handed them the game with three tries in sixteen minutes. I am furious.

Biggest positive to come from tonight - I thought Wayne Egan was excellent. A negative to go with it though - we were much worse when he came off and Katoa went on, and Ivan seems to be persisting with Katoa.

1 Like

Whare goes off injured
DWZ has a brain snap
Katoa replaces Egan

We get overrun in the last 20 minutes.

Despite playing our best 60 minutes.

Hard to take

Dallin’s brain snap and Malakai’s penalty try were both hugely influential in that game. Dallin’s attitude has cost us more than once.

Had to work, so I haven’t seen the game yet. Caught a few minutes on the radio & updates through the game.

Only thing that struck me so far is that we seem to struggle to win from in front, and I’m not just talking about this year. Casting my mind back over the last few years, we always seemed to do better chasing than leading.

Maybe Ivan needs to tell the boys to let in a couple of soft ones early :roll_eyes: