[2019] 2019 R7 Panthers v Rabbitohs - Game Day Thread

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs
:stadium: Venue Panthers Stadium, Penrith NSW
:clock10: Time Friday 26th April 2019 7:50pm
:tickets: Tickets Ticketek [Link]
:rugby_football: Other Matches CCN Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs 5:45pm
:stadium: Gates Open Gates Open 5:30pm
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :crescent_moon: Clear 15°C (0% Chance of Rain :cloud_with_rain:)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: 9 Network WWOS [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

South Sydney Rabbitohs 22 Tries Kyle Turner, Corey Allan, Cody Walker, Dane Gagai
Goals Adam Reynolds (3/5)
Penrith Panthers 18 Tries James Maloney, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Viliame Kikau
Goals Nathan Cleary (3/4)

:rugby_football: Canterbury Cup NSW | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 20 Tries William Burns (3), Brian Too
Goals Dylan Edwards (2/4)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 18 Tries Billy Brittain, Dean Britt, Mawene Hiroti
Goals Mawene Hiroti (3/3)

Post Game Media

PRESS CONFERENCE

PANTHERS MEDIA REPORT

MATCH REPORT

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

MAN OF THE MATCH VOTING
http://pantherpride.com.au/t/round-7-v-rabbitohs-motm/

Teams

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
:rugby_football: Panthers v Rabbitohs :rugby_football: Panthers v Rabbitohs :rugby_football: Panthers v Rabbitohs
:clock3: Friday 26/4 7:55pm :clock3: Friday 26/4 5:45pm :clock3: Saturday 27/4 2:00pm
:stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: Panthers Stadium :stadium: St Marys Leagues Stadium
TEAM
1. Caleb Aekins 1. Dylan Edwards 1. Charlie Staines
2. Josh Mansour 2. Brent Naden 2. Glen Mcgrady
3. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Tyrell Fuimaono 3. Stephen Crichton
4. Waqa Blake 4. Matheson Johns 4. Thomas Lofts
5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak 5. Brian To’O 5. Matthew Faauila
6. James Maloney 6. Daine Laurie 6. Matt Burton
7. Nathan Cleary 7. Jarome Luai 7. Brendan Hands
8. James Tamou (C) 8. Spencer Leniu 8. Jayden Tanner
9. Wayde Egan 9. Mitch Kenny 9. Ryan Pritchard
10. Tim Grant 10. Nick Lui-Toso 10. Brad Gaut
11. Viliame Kikau 11. Shawn Blore 11. Terrell May
12. Isaah Yeo 12. Billy Burns 12. J’Maine Hopgood (C)
13. James Fisher-Harris 13. Hame Sele 13. Lindsay Smith
INTERCHANGE
14. Sione Katoa 14. Reed Izzard 14. Adam Fearnley
15. Liam Martin 15. Anton Iaria 15. Jack Quinn
16. Moses Leota 16. Isaac Thompson 17. Ratu Nanovo
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 17. Ratu Tuisese 18. Dylan Mcbain
RESERVES
18. Jarome Luai 19. Jake Tago
19. Kaide Ellis
20. Dylan Edwards
21. Tyrell Fuimaono
COACH
Coach: Ivan Cleary Coach: Guy Missio Coach Ben Harden

Officials

Telstra Premiership Canterbury Cup NSW Jersey Flegg
Referee Ashley Klein TBA TBA
Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski - -
Sideline Officials Belinda Sleeman TBA TBA
Rickey McFarlane TBA TBA
Video Referee Jared Maxwell - -
Bryan Norrie - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2019 Overall
Ashley Klein 2009 (0/2) 0% (7/20) 26%
Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski 2017 (1/2) 50% (3/5) 60%

Aekins at Fullback, DWZ in the centres.

Otherwise same 17 as last week.

Surprising no Cartwright on extended bench, guess Edwards or Fuimaona May come into the 17 if the coach considers the Aekins / DWZ switch a gamble.

Then again, knowing how coaches play games, Ellis May end up starting lol.

Good to see Aekins getting a run. Not to sure about DWZ in centres, would have thought he would be better suited to wing, with MWZ in centres.

1 Like

Souths have the 3rd best defence and 4th best attack this year to date and sit 4th on 10 pts…we all know how poor we have been in both.
Damien Cook will be key for Souths and for us tonight…we need to simply shut his natural game down but if he is allowed to do his natural thing Souths will run riot over us and to be honest the way our middle has been going in defence it doesn’t fill me with confidence and Maloney will be tested in every movement from Souths IMO
To counter this i would like to see Maloney on the Bench for this game until we can inject him when Souths big boppers begin to tire and could be a play Bennet might not have catered for in training and might throw Souths off their pre conceived game plan.
In short we need a major turnaround because this is really the first Top 8 side we will have played save for the Eels whose form has continued.
Add to not only our poor form you have what if any impact of the Gould move will have played this week on the team.

Oh well…conditions should be superb, no rain and no wind with a fast track which should suit Blake,DWZ but will also suit a couple of smart kids they have

Up to the team to show what the season means to them tonight.

Melbourne Storm not at top 8 side!!!

2 Likes

Not sure what to expect tonight - I’m sure we are a better team than we are showing, but how we ignite our potential, I don’t know.

Going to game more in hope than expectation. It’s going to be a long way back if we don’t get the 2 points tonight.

Agree, Mr. Walker. If we lose this, we can very nearly write off the season.

I wish I could be more confident, but our form has been rubbish all year & I don’t see any reason why tonight will be different.

The only silver lining is that I’m a hopeless tipster but, even allowing for that, I think we’re in for a long night.

… what happened to Jack Hetherington ???

… long night tonite. We’re too predictable,
even you forumites know what’s going to happen. :slightly_frowning_face:

We are the better team despite the scoreboard

Haven’t read a comment - the burgess bullshit penalty is driving faithful fans away.

I’m done !

1 Like

We looked better tonight. Aekins was excellent and might have just earned himself the fullback jumper. Egan was also great, hope he keeps his spot over Katoa (and pulls up okay with that shoulder).

Losing to Souths, watching the game with my Souths supporting husband and his family… Not fun.

Is our season done?

That loss hurt more than the rest this season. They didn’t deserve to lose that game, for the first time this year I feel Penrith we’re the better side.

Ashley Klein needs to be banned from Penrith games going forward. He gave Souths every chance to win that game with what could only be blatant calls resulting in the Panthers having to climb a mountain to win.

It was a real kick in the guts. It has really left me disenfranchised with Rugby League.

1 Like

Funny you say that Steve, my father was saying the same thing.

Last week Sam Burgess had an on field protest against the referees. Those refs held their nerve. Tonight they bent over for him.

I’m not sure we have won a penalty count this season. We just aren’t receiving penalties. Last week it was 7-2 in favour of Cronulla. And one of those was for a dangerous throw!

A few years ago Roosters chucked up a big stink and things turned around really quickly.

They missed quite a few key forward passes that lead to Souths tries.

Is there a way to write a serious letter to Graham Annesley? I would love to see his response to some of these calls. He seems genuine.

I do think we took quite a few steps forward tonight, and next week we play our traditional rivals in the Raiders. We usually play well against them - hopefully we can get the W in Wagga Wagga.

Can anyone explain the double movement ruling? To me he looked short of the line & was struggling to get up to play the ball.

:mega: Round 7 Man of the Match voting is now open here.

This is straight from the NRL Rule Book (Page 24, Note 2c: Second movement after tackle)

Second movement after tackle
When an attacking player is tackled within easy reach of the goal line he should be penalised if he makes a second movement to place the ball over, or on, the line for a try.

So what happens if a player does propel the ball forward and it doesn’t reach the line? Does this mean that he is penalized for even trying or doe it only qualify for a penalty if the ball touches the tryline or exceeds it?

…and if it does mean if they tried and was unsuccessful in getting over the line it qualifies for a penalty, then doesn’t it also apply if the did the same thing anywhere on the field (in normal play away from the tryline).

Either way, from what I saw there was no evidence to suggest that Fisher-Harris got the ball to the line and the call was bogus.

I haven’t watched the whole game but there were a few instances I want to see on the replay regarding Referee Error

1. The try scored by the Rabbitohs where the ball was passed from the ground in what seemed like a complete tackle.

2. The Panthers No-Try based on a very late call by the referee of a “Incorrect play-the-ball”. Considering the amount of atrocious dummy half plays in the game, it was odd that that was the only on singled out.

3. Mansour being tackled without the ball and was taken out of the contest of the ball (this led to a tray a few tackles later also)

4. Sam Burgess claiming a dangerous tackle by James Tamou. I couldn’t see that being the case, but a quick word to the ref by Souths and a penalty was called.

Needless to say, I don’t think Ashley Klein should be refereeing Penrith games going forward,

1 Like

i think a lot has been covered by other posters and have to agree on a few points.

1…refereeing was poor and Souths got more doubtful calls then us

2…we played with more intensity but still lacked discipline and cohesion

3…Aekins played great at FB and even DWZ went well at Centre

But despite these points…how can you forgive Maloney for playing the ball facing the sideline for us to score a try only to be denied for this dumbest of all plays?

Cleary was marooned twice and they simply ran hard at him and over him for 2 tries

Cleary missed 2 kicks at goal

We had Souths out on their feet and we give away 3 penalties and they score

we still came up short against a team who showed amazing resilience in defence and again we struggled to score and despite all the penalties, brain explosions and poor execution we nearly got them but in this level you cannot rely on hail mary comebacks.

I willl be in Wagga on Saturday to watch the boys go around and strangely we play a side with almost the same look in Canberra who have big mobile forwards and backs with speed to burn and i doubt we can lift another notch but hope we can.

On our season…we play Raiders away…Tigers away…Warriors at home and then Eels away

Raiders are in great form, Tigers are on tilt but will want to win for the golden point game,Warriors all but beat Storm in Melbourne and Eels have gone to another level since we met in Round 1.

We need to win all 4…then we face Eagles at home who have also found some form

Then its origin time and doubt either Cleary or Maloney would make the squad on form nor can i see RCG making it.

That being said i feel we played our GF last night…hope i am wrong but i sense we did

The call for incorrect play the ball was late, but the right call.

I have a big question mark over a number of other calls though, especially the double movement & pass off the ground (which also looked forward). Both looked to be incorrect at the ground, and having watched them both again I’d have to say both are wrong.

Hopefully our referee from last night will be pulled up on them (and a few others I’m 50/50 about)