Refereeing in the modern game

and are rattled by death threats as
as reported in today’s Telegraph.

Same sort of thing in the Sharks/Manly game, Perenara appeared to have an ‘agenda’ and was not going to allow anyone to stand in his way.

In our game the quick tap for the faiders to score was contentious in my opinion. I would be happy if it was open and shut but when the pocket ref “gives the spot” which is apparently the okidoki to play on with a quick tap inside the 10, but is in the attackers way, i.e. BJ had to run around him only to find our blokes getting back on side, goes against anything I have seen this year inside the 10.

What I would love to see is a winning coach come out and say the refereeing was terrible, then the NRL might pay attention. While we only have losing coaches carrying on, why would the powers at be care?

There seems to be more & more contentious calls every week, and this is what is driving the fans nuts.

I’m also starting to question if there is KPI’s the referees are trying to adhere to, in particular number of penalties per game & difference between the teams in penalties (ie. 15-20 penalties per game, with no more than 3 difference by full time).

Did anyone notice the refs in our game when the scrum clock went off with the titans too slow to feed the ball? When we claimed it should be a penalty to us, Perenara came in and took over from the pocket ref, and then he re-started play like nothing had even happened! Why have a scrum clock if the two clowns are going to ignore it?? No wonder no-one has any faith in the refs.

2 Likes

Did anyone notice whilst the coaching carousel marches on,
the refs are off the ‘hook’.

Sorry, out of the limelight. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe the time has come to scrap on field referees, fit all players with microchips and referee the game electronically from the ubiquitous bunker.

They even snuck back in the ones who got demoted a few weeks back - guess they thought no-one would notice.

Three standout examples of pathetic refereeing on Sat night:

1. whilst Luke’s tackle on Jimmy started out as a great hit, he clearly put Jimmy in a dangerous position - is there ANYTHING more dangerous than landing on his head? No penalty!
  2. A warrior player trips over his OWN player when getting up to play the ball - Penalty to Warriors!!! Can only imagine Perenera thought it was a Panther player, camouflaged by wearing Warriors outfit - cunning?? Should have gone to Specsavers eh Henry!
  3. On our last try, a crisp clear spread to the right, Chicken Legs is ready to point to the spot, when Kiwi Henry, sprints at him yelling and waving his arms to send it to the Bunker, indicating he saw some ‘interference’ by waving his arms. So it goes upstairs and it was as clean a try as ever been seen - nice try to stop a try Perenera - you are a disgrace!

My pet hate (or one of them at least) is when the ref makes an on-field call of try or no try. In some cases a call of “I haven’t got a bloody clue” would be more appropriate. I think this was possibly the case with the warriors first try. It sounded like the bunker didn’t think there was evidence either way of correct grounding but had to go with the ref’s call. My opinion is, if in doubt no try.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. As I suggested in the original post, making the bunker need to find proof to overturn the on field decision is asking for trouble, and the Luke try is a classic example. Logic suggests he didn’t get there, but there was no camera angle that clearly showed it. I hope that no big games are decided on the back of one of those decisions.

The bunker is just a new name for video ref.

What was wrong with the old try, no try, benefit of the doubt, refs call?

Maybe rose coloured glasses on, but the in goal judges didn’t seem to stuff up all that much either

Thought I would re-ignite last years commentary around refs.

I have said before it’s not necessarily the number of penalties it’s the momentum created. The knights game yesterday is a classic example, they were leading 20 nil and in control, Parra then get 6 penalties on the trot until they score. The momentum swings to Parra obviously and only when the refs stopped giving all the 50/50’s to Parra did we see the knights come away with the win.

It is not right!!!

1 Like

Was just thinking about this, things don’t seem to be any better this year. The more things change, the more they stay the same :roll_eyes:

1 Like

From nrl.com

Penrith hooker Sione Katoa is free to play in Penrith’s Saturday afternoon road meeting with the Raiders after pleading guilty to a dangerous contact charge relating to his late-game clash with Dane Gagai in Friday night’s 22-18 loss to the Rabbitohs.

Katoa’s knees appeared to come into contact with Gagai after he scored a crucial try for the Bunnies in the 73rd minute.

No penalty was given after the bunker reviewed the incident, but the NRL Match Review Committee deemed Katoa’s contact illegal.

Doesn’t say much about the standard of refereeing and bunkering; or alternatively it doesn’t say much about the standard of the judiciary.

I think it says it all :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

100% mr walker, this is the glaringly obvious misalignment in a process that should essentially be faultless.

This situation is black and white, he led with the knees end of story!

On the night however the call from the bunker was that his hand was on the ground before contact thus he was trying to stop himself from making contact…:rofl:

Did anyone watch that farcical end to the knights v Tigers game?

I couldn’t give a crap about either team but fair dinkum, these refereeing displays (bunker included) are absolutely PATHETIC.

The Dufty v Ponga shoulders are chalk and cheese yet Pongas just cost the knights any hope of winning.

If I wasn’t so passionate about the Panthers I would walk away from the disintegration of this game. Not happy and it has nothing to do with me :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Dragons v Souths - Dragons completely outplayed still in the game, hit the front with a minute to go, short kick off, 3 Souths blokes not looking at the footy tip the bloke who jumps in the air on his head…refs = nothing.

1. If that is a bomb to a fullback penalty every day of the week
  2. If that winger lands on his head and doesn’t get up, video = penalty

Where is there any F@&$ING consistency in this shit bag game they are trying to “make” safe?

Warriors were absolutely ripped off last night.

Well at least with the refs under the spotlight we might get a fair go with the whistle today…then again I don’t see any pigs flying around

Glad I missed that game then, I HATE Parra and that would have destroyed me lol